Anglican baptism

In Paul Turner's Blog by Paul Turner

Q: A parishioner insists on having an Anglican priest friend baptize their newborn, but then they intend to raise the child as Catholic. What do I do?


A: This is ill-advised, but you probably cannot stop it. The Anglican priest should conduct his ceremony in his Church, which from our perspective makes the child an Episcopalian. Then the parents can make a declaration to you that they intend their child to be known as Catholic. That replaces the Rite of Reception into the Full Communion of the Catholic Church. You enter a note in the baptismal register accordingly.