Wedding suitability

In Paul Turner's Blog by Paul Turner

Q: We are a catholic family.  My son however has not been to church for a few years.  He is engaged and would like to have a priest perform the ceremony.  Do you foresee any issues with this?


A: Congratulations on your son’s engagement.

The only one who can answer this is the pastor of the parish where your son lives—or where his fiancé lives, if she is Catholic. A baptized Catholic has a right to the sacraments. A pastor makes a judgment on the suitability of the Catholics to receive.

Your son should find a welcome and guidance from his local priest.